So you wanna know - How to Meal Prep?


Meal prep is something we've seen on countless tv shows and on the internet. It looks alot hard than it is. But I assure you, anyone can do it. It just takes preparation and a tiny bit of cooking skills. In this post I'll give you some tips and tricks to help you find meal prep success.

If you've read my intro post (click here to read) you know I've tried this 'weight-loss' thing a TON of times. Sometimes I've been successful, sometimes I've failed, but at least I've tried. This time around, I'm trying some different techniques to ensure my success. The best technique I've tried so far, Meal Prep. Yup, I'm on the meal prep train and I'm riding it on the long haul!

So, let's get into it - HOW TO MEAL PREP, the Fab Glance Way!


Meal prepping is the best because you can maintain the same amount of calories for EACH MEAL everyday. As we know, if you don't plan your meals, you will fail. What's the point of working out if you aren't eating the best. Keep it real - Keep it serious, if you really wanna win this weightloss game, you gotta plan. Let me answer some quick questions:
  • Does meal prep take a long time? No too long, about 2 hours on your selected day plus one hour for grocery shopping.
  • Will I get tired of eating the same thing? Yup, by Thursday, you'll be tired of it - but suck it up!
  • Will I save money? YES you will!
  • Can I have sweets? You can have whatever you want, but if you are trying to lose weight, you need to stick to the clean side of life.



 

Step 1: Purchase your containers, plastic bags, and storage.
I opted to use GLAD MatchWare. It's like Tupperware, but not as expensive. Plus it's easy to clean. I have 5 medium sized containers for the days of the week. In addition I make sure to stock up on plastic sandwich bags for snacks.

Step 2: Figure out which days and which meals you are going to prep
For me, I have a sedentary office job. I work Monday - Friday so I make five days worth of food. I take the weekends off because  I need to cleanse my palate. Eating the same food for five days can be tiresome. I tend to prepare lunch and dinner and I drink a smoothie for breakfast every morning.
  •  You need protein: Chicken (breast or thighs), Seafood (Salmon, Talapia, White Fish), Soy/Tofu (if vegeterian). Most proteins last about 5 days in the refrigerator.
  • You need a grain: Qunoa, Wild Rice, whole grain pasta, beans
  • You need a vegetable: eat as much as you like! My faves are spinach/kale mix, fresh green beans, carrots, etc
  • You need some fruit: the kind you can take with you.
Step 3: PINTEREST is your BEST FRIEND
Are you on pinterest? No, well get on it! This is where I get most of my recipes from. There are TONS of recipes on there. Sometimes I adjust recipes for my personal taste. This is the perfect time to try new things. Pinterest will help you open you mind to the options of eating. Find a recipe and get to cooking. Just FOLLOW the recipe as it's stated and you'll be fine.

Step 4: Grocery Shopping
On Sunday, after church, I usually go grocery shopping. I prepare my meals on Sunday night. Sunday's are usually my easiest day so I take advantage. Meal prep can save you a TON of money if you do it right and stick to the plan. I spend about $65 a week purchasing my food and I don't go out to eat at work anymore.

Step 5: Prepare your foods
Wash all your meat, veggies, and fruits. Cut up any fruit for smoothies and snacking for the week. I gurantee you will save so much time during your week if you prepare everything on your meal prep day.
  • Soak fruits/veggies in a Apple Cider vinegar rinse - 1 cup Apple Cider vinegar in a sink full of water. You'll see all types of dirt and residue some off your veggies. Store your fruits & veggies in airtight containers, ready for pick-up during the mornings.
  • Bake your poultry and brown your meats - Cook your meat so that it's ready to go in your containers. I usually cook the same type of meat for each day, but I've seen others make two diff types of meat to add variety to the week.
Some of you are reading this like, "I don't cook!" 

Well, if you are going to meal prep, you can't be scared of the kitchen. Start easy by utilizing HEALTHY frozen alternatives. Before I started meal prepping, I ate alot of Lean Cuisines and Healthy choice meals. I also used salad in the bag, frozen veggies, and canned fruits. It wasn't the healthiest option but it was WAY better than eating at a restaurant everyday.

The more you get into preparing your meals, the more you're going to like being in the kitchen, Start with recipes you know how to do: Baked chicken and veggies, pasta dishes (using whole grain or veggie pasta), and SANDWICHES! Then branch out. Stay away from recipes with a ton of cheese, sugar, and starch. Also, pick fruits that don't require alot of peeling and prep. Bananas, apples, strawberries, and grapes are my favorites.

I hope this helps. Meal prep is a step to success. Try it for a week and I gurantee you'll love it.

More info on Meal Prep, click below:



Share:

0 comments